TECH TIP: RB Server – Concurrent Browser Connections
The link to our live server is:
The comments we here most often are “WOW, what a great user interface” and ‘Wow, I cannot believe the speed’.
The RB Server Solution contains numerous optimizations to maximize performance. However, as a developer, you have great influence over the scalability of the report server solutions that you build and deploy.
The number of concurrent browser connections that can be supported by a report server will depend upon a number of factors:
- Server Hardware
- Network bandwidth
- Database Software
- Database table design
- SQL Query performance
- Report complexity
- Report Page size
- Use of report archives
- Use of a Server Farm
Some guidelines to maximizing performance:
- Invest in powerful hardware. Use at least a dual-processor server machine and a high speed network connection. True PC Servers often costs more money but have high performance network capabilities and fast SCSCI hard drives.
- Utilize a high-performance database product that can run on a separate high powered server machine.
- Use a server farm configuration in which an RB WebTier application runs on the web server machine and utilizes a farm of machines running RB report server applications.
- Create repoFor large complex reports and reports that are requested often, create report archives that the server can publish upon request to clients.
- Maximize the performance of live reports by creating efficient queries that utilize database indexes and select only the minimum number of fields used by the report.